Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just got Old  (Read 277 times)

Spence

• View Profile
Just got Old
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »

I go through my cache, but usually the back pack first just in case it's a grab and go situation. I'm watching the tube while doing it, and maybe I'll nod off in the middle. I'd go in the garage and check out the dessicants in the milk cans to make sure that the stuff stays dry. Sometimes I may need to use something, so I make sure they're all in the same location again.

I wake up, now my TV program long past,  with the thought that I am just too old to do anything. Something inside says that I still have it, and I recall the service days and the force marches carrying all that gear, and the things I would do calling for a lot of energy. But I was 18 then, and now my 72 years frame is having problems with worn knee joints, and the hearing is getting bad by the year, especially needed in the high frequencies where you need to determine the leaf rustle caused by wind rather than bear.     
My left eye had a mild stroke in the lower right quarter which I didn't notice for a couple of days since I didn't close one eye, which would have shown me the greyed out part. Apparently I learned the brain compensates and it looks perfectly normal with two eyes open. My shooting is with my right eye and I can still target a 2" group at 150 ft, so that's OK I guess. The good eye has got a few floaters and I'm glad they don't disturb my central field of vision. My wife checked the blood pressure and she says mid to just under high, which maybe explains the eye problem. It should improve if the bad days come soon, as I'll be as active as a Neander on the hunt. 

So the years go by and I'll get more tired in spite of my exercises, and everything will slowly shut  down. My 2 sons usually politely listen in on my plan of action such as how I'll design the cave so my wife and I and their two families can live out the 'storm'. Or lately, to build 'take down/put up' cabins for the move to the mountains. They are caught up in the 'now' raising families and dependent on the grid for survival. So I'll be the one to once again provide for an alternative life, and I hope it never happens. If I croak, my sons will know where the stuff is, and they can use it or save it. It looks like nature will be the enemy, out of all the disaster scenerios, with the skies looking more like out of the Book of Eli, or the Road. More rain and storms,less sun(or too much), and random season shifts.

So I keep trying to remain organized for them, keeping the gear gathered. Even now when the time comes I'll probably be there to set up with them, but my days will be few when the critters discover I'm a lunch that can't fight back.

So in the meantime I'll give my opinions based on what is good for the future, but to my kids my plans are getting more abstract while they get more taken in with this era. It's hard these days of shining paint to convince the boys to stay with real 4 X 4's instead, or if not, at least with a weak AWD. They know to stash real bullion and silver instead of bank accounts,etc. But my oldest 15 year old grandson seems to be doing just that. He saves his pay and collects bullion coins, so he's on the right path.         

In the mean time I'll be that tough old SOB that doesn't make sense but still will survive,.......well,  maybe after my nap.  :D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:16:44 AM by Spence »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Just got Old
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »

We all get older. Once upon a time I was surprised I made double digits, that's 10, given all the stupid crap I did. Then it was 30. Now it's closer to 50 than 30. There was a stretch in there from 34 on where I was in much rougher shape, car accidents will do that to you.

My grandparents lived through the Great Depression, my parents were "Boomers" and lived in the now with nary a thought to the future. I listened to my grandparents, so I'm as prepared as I can be. My kids are in their 20s and they live in the now although the youngest has listened the most. It's hard to put away for the future when jobs suck and you're just scraping by. All the kids know that I'm prepared and know to get back here, whether they live 15 minutes or 4 hours or 16 hours away. The one that's furthest away will probably involve me going to get her, but I won't be doing that alone and we'd be loaded for bear.

At least your grandson gets it. It seems that preparing often skips a generation.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Spence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »

I know what you mean. The hard ways may have to be repeated. But I think people
will be a lot healthier in the long run, provided it's not chemical or nuclear. 

I think I'd benefit in joining a local group so I can actually dry run. But what I can do now is location
exercises using maps and GPS. (get some fishing in too).  Also back trailing for ideal locations on Fed land
would be helpful too. 

So now I'll go kick some butt and get my city slickers moving.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »

A local group is good to have since it helps spread the load around. And lets face it, we all have our strengths and weaknesses., so having someone who is good at things we are not is a good thing. And the old guy with the cane who doesn't get around so well anymore... he's probably forgotten more than most people will know. He may not be able to do it anymore, but he can sure tell folks how to do it so it's done right.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »

I will reach double nickels this year in December.... and my health reflects years of neglect at the moment, and the industrial accident 5 years ago didnt help none trying to be fit.

My kids are nearly 17, 15, and 13 currently and are typical teens most people think, but they all get it, they know what we have and what we dont have and need to improve on, all of them can shoot, though the youngest wants nothing to do with hunting at this time [doesnt like blood in his steak, dont want to see bloody from a kill shot, which will change]  the other two are both ok with the hunt though they prefer beef to venison for whatever reasoning still.

I encourage skills to be developed, I have the tools for them to become builders, loggers, miners sawmillers, mechancs and even farmers, i can get the tools for them to become metal smiths if they desire.  They are all three bookworms or more over this day and age "videoholics" and what can be learned from you tube videos is amazing :o  ::) to some extent. 

They all three know how to dig gold of course, and know that real wealth is hard come by, not just traded for.  I get surprised every know and again what knowledge they absorbed from my instruction and doing, just when i think it didnt sink in they do something or ask about it or actually instruct someone else how to or what to do.

Eyesight is important, we only get two, and from what i read strokes are reversible to an extent.... varies person to person and type of damage done and how fast it is discovered and what therapy is applied.... one of those fields where a doctor can help if they really have studied strokes and not just read about it in a book when back in med school..... hydration and cayenne pepper it seems is still part of the answer for vascular problems [stroke being in that category] but my knowledge is limited and others may indeed can point the way there.....

Good luck, yer only as old as ya feel, though the body slows down, the mind is an extraordinary tool to keep honed!

BD
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up