Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old rigs I have  (Read 4845 times)

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
Old rigs I have
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »

I guess i am a collector of old rigs, until last year we only had rigs that were about 25 years new.... now we have a 96 van and just recently we aquired a 92 exploder

But my old rigs are family, i dislike getting rid of them they have done so well over the years... the F-250 with a one ton front end has a inline 300-6 bored out 50 thousandths and has 390 pistons instaled and a host of other items to bring it up to about 400 ponies under the hood, it still needs a few parts like new shoes and exhaust assembled again, and maybe a new power steering system, about $1000.00 in frauds and its back on the road again

I bought another old 77 2x4 though last year in hopes of running it awhile and then using the parts off it to fix up my other rig.... drove it once, figured out the steering on it was a major disaster and parked it in the yard.... but for $250 fraud it was worth sitting here.... My old crummy [crew cab to those civilized city slickers] was put togehter by a shade tree mechanic.... i knew it was but the fella i traded for it told me what was done [kinda] and ive had to park it til i can find the right parts to correct the errors of the last mechanic [flywheel/starter/belhousing dont mesh and replacement parts dont fit right causing the starter not to engage correctly] Our old 84 suburban was once a university rig and mostly all hiway miles til we got it froma wrecking yard [back door was open and got crunched but you would never know it after the body shop fixed it] It was parked last season for lack of good mileage.....

All of the above have some form of electronic ignition.... but no computer, all easily fixed and each of them could be changed over to run on a points system instead of the electronic ignition... but i havent, and i dont have the parts to do it yet.... on the trade list though.

My sawmill has a volswagon engine, has a ronco magneto which has points, i can tak the motor off the mill and power any piece of machery that i could fit a belt drive to if i wanted.... nice piece of machinery in itself..... 54 horse 1600 cc rope start motor.

The 2 newer rigs both have computers, both have things in them if we are on the road we are sunk if a computer problem hits, those brains are not cheap, and are known to go out after a set number of miles..... but the price tag in frauds was right, and the fuel mileage has proven to be pretty good [compared to the suburban its awesome] and the family can ride together.... all we need now is a small trailer to tow the camp gear as there is no room for much in an exploder [my moms 2002 is only slightly bigger han our 1992 but the price tag difference is astounding].

other motors i have also are plagued with electronic ignition, the old power saw is a 1993 and has it, most all the little honda engines and briggs and other small engines we have around here have an electronic ignition as well.... [note to self i gotta get some manuals on small engine repair  and change some of those out].

And i wont go into the power tools that are capacitor start on the motors... no wonder i picked them up in trades fairly resaonable!

William
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
Re: Old rigs I have
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »

WEll instead of editing the post i decided to enter the next segment and say some things about the reason we use the older vehicles.  First off Is the economic value of the older rigs, they cost less up front and if you watch what you are buying you can get an awesome deal at times. 

here near the cultural hub of the universe, the price of any 4x4 will generally be over $1000.00 even in poor condition, it is the accepted way of life, a friend had an old dodge that he no longer wanted, advertised it for $800 got 3 calls wanting to know what was wrong with it.... after talking with me he upped the price 3 weeks later in another advertisement to $2800.00 and sold it the first afternoon the ad came oput for the full price..... same rig, nothing different except  the price tag warranted the rig was good to run. So with that in mind ifg i go looking for a rig i also figure on a talking the price to a lower level....

The old vehicles are easy to work on for the most part, and as long as you can find a similar rig or two for a parts rigs a person could easily keep the old one running... taking the parts off one rig and putting them on a shelf even doesnt take up much space as a person thinks and then haul off the frame to the wrecking yard or scrap yard... keeping the parts that need replaced once inawhile.  And as long as a person takes care of the older rigs they tend to last fairly well, and the older the better, those made in the 40's and 50's of last century that are still running are really in better shape for the most part than some of the current off the line rigs both in body and engine soundness, but that isnt saying much as there isnt much pride in manufacturing anymore anywhere.  Changing the gear oil in the transmission every 5 years in a standard  is something 99% of the rigs never have done, and also in the rear ends, but its a hassle and folks really dont do much maintainence except change the engine oil, and some not often enough.

Engines can be stored in a corner of a shop/garage on a pallet and even have a bench built over the pallet for some extra storage,  the other parts like power steering pumps, alternators, air conditioning pumps, brake canisters, transmissions mostly can fit onto shelving under a work bench, hoses can be reused, but if a person knows the hose lengths a new pieces can be bought and stored... yeah  my shop has a place ive got parts stored on shelves in boxes [wooden ones ive built for the job] and in old milk crates scored here and there.... not the most orderly but i know what i have for replacemtn without going to the wrecking yard.

I personally dislike mechanicing on my rigs, but i do it from force of habit left over from growing up on the farmstead and having to keep things in running order without paing for shop time in town for everything [We did have the shops in town work on equipment at times when we did not have the time or tooling available].

I have to many old rigs sitting around waiting to be torn apart or put together, but there they are, rusting away, waiting for new life to be breathed into them, they are an investment in the future if nothing else, cause they look good, and can run good as well with a little sweat and a few frauds.

William

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:29:33 PM »

I like old, pre computer and electronic days, vehicles. Modern vehicles have nice conviences and all, but most of those can be added. My car is a 1971 Volvo 164, looks a lot like and early 70's Mercedes and not boxy like the typical Volvo. Its easy to work on and the highest tech is a mechanical solenoid, voltage regulator and ignition coil.

I also have a 78 Bronco, first of the full size, that is typical Ford PITA to work on some things and requires special tools for the steering gear box which is why that will go to the mechanic to get fixed.

My girlfriend has a 75 Nova 4 door, another old and easy to work on car. I want an older(73-91) diesel Suburban to replace the Bronco as the BOV.

You could say that I like older vehicles. New vehicles lack any real style, they all look pretty much the same, have no character and require way too much  electronics gear to do simple repairs.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Laughs at Hurricanes

• Blogger
  • False color image of Charley at landfall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 10:24:15 PM »

Just as an aside on older vehicles (and some newer ones) that once they are stripped of useable parts that if you continue to strip them down to the frame, suspension and wheels you will have a trailer that is capable of hauling huge loads for its size and is also a stable platform with four wheels. it is also readily adaptable to being pulled by animal power. You can lock the front wheels in place if you want or allow them to caster on their own. Almost any pickup or SUV once stripped of its body and and all the pieces down to the frame will yield a a trailer that is able to haul 3000+ pounds. So think twice before sending that old stripped vehicle to the boneyard.
Charley tried and failed. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma failed too. I'm still here and still laughing.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »

I've seen people convert a pickup frame with the rear axle and brakes to a nice strong trailer. One I liked was one where they took a second bed, cut the front off the original then welded the second one on, and then welded on the tongue. The guy had used a pickup bed and frame from the same era as his truck, added the same rims and tires for a nice looking combo.

I've seen the same thing done with a Unimog radio truck (the one with the box on the back) for a nice looking trailer that matched the truck pulling it.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Laughs at Hurricanes

• Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:55:57 AM »

What is probably the neatest conversion I have ever seen was where someone had taken a 1 ton Ford maxivan and add a trailer made from a second van that had been cut vertically just  a few inches behind the top of the windshield. This 'trailer' was permanently attached and used a bellows type arrangement between it and the complete van along with a swivel joint between the two units similar two the connection between some railcars or the end of a jetway where it mates up with the hatch of a jet. Very well done and looked like it was factory built. They wouldn't say what it cost but you could tell it was not cheap. A very nice setup all told.
Charley tried and failed. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma failed too. I'm still here and still laughing.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »

a few years ago i was up in the woods working when along came a wagon pulled by horses.... It was a school teacher from Missoula Montana on his summer vacation he had done for several years taking the back roads...

The wagon had started out as a volkswagon and evolved into a really nice travel wagon camp trailer with quite a few amenities.... but he had kept the hydraulic brakes and some electrical so he had lights and turn signals for get out of town and up into the woods... he had 4 horses pulling it.  It looked kinda out of place yet looked like a fun unit to have around... i never have got around to building one similar, maybe never will, but the heavier frames would work too.... to many around though get in the way after awhile.... and in town they kinda frown on projects like that not covered up.... in some places... out here on the farmstead, my wwife kinda says some of the rigs have to go this year.... sooooooooo... will flip a coin and see who stays.... me or the old rigs.....

William

William
Central Idaho

Laughs at Hurricanes

• Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »

Just as a side thought, the old VW microbus, aka 'hippy van', are all one ton rated vehicles. 65 mph top speed fully loaded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up