Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wigg'y Antarctic Parka - "WARMEST PARKA MADE IN THE WORLD"?  (Read 88 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Wigg'y Antarctic Parka - "WARMEST PARKA MADE IN THE WORLD"?
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »

I was in the market for a new parka. My Cabela's down parka that I've had for years has started to lose loft in the shoulders and upper back. Cold spots are no fun. I tried washing it with down cleaner that is suppose to restore loft, but it can only do so much when the down itself starts to break down... thanks to the dry cleaner I took it to who said they could properly clean it. Anyway...

Having had lots of experience with parkas and with down I was ready to try something different. Down, while a great insulator when dry, loses all insulation value when wet. For years I've been considering a Wiggy's sleeping bag, the ones the Navy SEALS started forking out their own money for because they are warm and work when wet. I've read and watched a lot of reviews of the sleeping bags and the insulation used, I really like the washing instructions - put in washer with your favorite detergent then dry on air or low but keep an eye on the temp so as to not melt the nylon shell, wash as often as you like. And the lifetime warranty is great too. Last year I bought a jacket liner from Wiggy's as a low price test of workmanship and was impressed so I decided to pick up on-57.e of Antarctic Parks.

I've been testing it out for the last few weeks here and there. I've been hoping for a -40F air temp day with a lower wind chill, but it hasn't happened as of yet. Today was a good test though. The temperature was -11F with wind at 23mph for a wind chill of -37.9 (-57.96 on the old scale), gusts of 31mph brought the wind chill to -41.17 (-65.18 on the old scale). Humidity was 76%.

I wore three different parkas today, the Wiggy's, the Cabela's and a military surplus that I've had for over 30 years and still works great but needs some patches to fix it up. While the Cabela's parka has issues on the shoulders and upper back the rest of the parka has good down loft.

The Cabela's parka had the cold spots. I did notice that I was slowly losing warmth to the wind. All of the pockets - chest, cargo and hand warmer - are uninsulated so mittens would be needed to stay warm or warm up hands. In the wind my hands got cold fast.

The military parka worked as it always has. It kept me warm although I very slowly lost warmth to the wind. It only has cargo pockets and those have no insulation. My go to for so many years still has some life left, especially after I patch some seams that are failing on the cargo pockets.

Last I tested the Wiggy's parka. It had no cold spots. The hand warmer and cargo pockets are insulated and kept my hands warm or warmed them up if they were cold. There was no loss of heat to the wind, and I tested it twice as long as the other two.

I don't know if it's the warmest parka in the world, but I know it is the warmest parka I own. I would say it is warmer than the Cabela's was even when new. Like the sleeping bags, the insulation will continue to do it's job even when wet and will dry out from your body heat and keep you warm. I'm sure we'll see temps closer to -40F air temp and I'll report on how it does then too. I can say that I'm happy with it and feel that it is well worth the $395.00 price tag considering that a down parka of considerable quality and temperature rating means Canada Goose and those cost $995.

www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/antarctic-parka
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: Wigg'y Antarctic Parka - "WARMEST PARKA MADE IN THE WORLD"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »

sounds like a good buy and it will last you for years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up