Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new (to me tool) for bugging out and survival  (Read 211 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
A new (to me tool) for bugging out and survival
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »

A few years ago Minnesota started putting cable and post barriers in the median of the Interstate from Fargo east. The reasoning they out forward was to keep vehicles from crossing from one side to the other through the large area between lanes. On one side it is maybe four feet from the edge of the inside lane, on the other it is 16 or so feet. The past few winters has shown that they ain't that effective and mostly they just destroy cars that do actually make it through. It was a LOT of money for something that rarely happens, since the main time for people to hit the median is in winter... when there is so much snow in the median that they don't go far before getting stuck.

As they were putting them up I joked it was to keep people from turning around when they're bugging out once everything has gone to crap, and a guy would need a gas powered cut off saw to cut the cables and the steel posts.

Well, I recently got one locally for a steal of a price (under $50) for an older Stihl cut off saw. Yeah, the same ones you see construction crews using to cut concrete and asphalt.  I looked it over before getting it, and it starts but doesn't stay running. With those it could be the air filter or it could be the carb. In either case maximum cost is about $50 for a new carb. It hasn't been used much in I don't know how long, so chances are that a simple carb cleaning or just some good fuel in it will have it running in no time.

So now, no matter what the obstruction is I can cut it up and remove it. Plus I have one hell of a saw for cutting metal or dealing with tree stumps around the yard.

I think I'll keep a multi purpose blade on there that will allow me to cut wood, concrete, steel and anything else I need.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A new (to me tool) for bugging out and survival
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:19 PM »

Messed around with the saw today. I pulled the carb and cleaned it up, did a general cleaning and put in new gas. Once I got some gas cycled through it started up. It would only stay running if I had the trigger held part or fully down, it doesn't idle. I'll have to adjust the tuning on the carb to get it running like it should. The safety switch on the top of the handle is broken clean with the handle so that will need to be replaced. I'll check in with a local Stihl dealer to check on the price of the part and how much they will charge me to install it.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »

I tuned the carb today, screwed in the High and Low all the way and then adjusted them out 1/4 turn. It didn't quite idle, but better. So it adjusted them out to a 1/2 turn and it idled just fine. I checked in with one of the Stihl dealers in town and they wanted $17 for the switch, instead I got one off eBay for $5 delivered. I also added a new O ring to the fuel cap which fixed a very minor leak. The Stihl dealre did have 14 inch steel abrasive discs for $9 so I picked one up.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:23 AM »

That sounds like a great score. Never know when it will come in handy.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »

They started the same thing in Alberta on hwy 2, main north south hwy. Again to prevent ending up in the opposite lane. 4 steel ropes maybe 3/4 inch dia.
Some spots it goes for miles. So ya could be an issue.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »

Yeah, it is a good score.

I've played with the carb some more, it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

It's also good for salvage and scrounging after everything goes to hell. I will give it a workout getting rid of stumps once it's working.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »

Was watching a you tube video on motorcycle lefts in England. A battery operated hand grinder with a cut off wheel seems to be a favorite among thieves. They were really quick as well.
Not exactly following the thread up it is compact and works.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 11:39:52 PM »

I can see a battery powered grinder working. I have friends that have a lot of battery powered tools, 20V Dewalt. I did notice that the circular saw had only a couple of minutes per battery. I suppose that would work fine for many things, and would be great to have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up