Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Longer Home Schooling  (Read 3342 times)

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
No Longer Home Schooling
« on: February 19, 2007, 11:58:57 PM »

I wanted to let all know that we are no longer home schooling.  My son really wanted to go to high school, so I enrolled him in public school for the last semester of his 8th grade year.  The GREAT thing is we were able to get him back up to grade level (you might remember when I pulled him out of 7th grade, his reading and math were at about 5th grade level).  We are trying to get him into a Magnet high school, where he can learn just about everything about automotive care.

It has been strange adjusting to no children in the house during the day.  That's why I am REAL excited about updating my web site!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: No Longer Home Schooling
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »

The Magnet school sounds good. If your son keeps he habits he learned and continues to study on his own he'll do well. I taught myself more than school did, and was much more up-to-date on the latest info.

My girlfriend's oldest daughter wants to be an author and illustrator, she's good at both. She has decided that she wants to learn to be an auto mechanic to pay the bills. Smart kid, learn a trade to allow her to do what she wants, plus this way she can make sure her car is always in good condition. As a female learning auto mechanics she'll get a ton of grants for school and can probably swing a grant to open her own shop once she is certified and has some experience under her belt.

Hell as a female mechanic with her own shop if she specializes in female customers she'll have more business than she'll know what to do with. It would be a nice change for women to not be treated like idiots when it comes to car repairs.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »

Hell as a female mechanic with her own shop if she specializes in female customers she'll have more business than she'll know what to do with. It would be a nice change for women to not be treated like idiots when it comes to car repairs.

Let her know that I envy her!  Now is the perfect time to learn, before she is married and has kids.  You should see the looks I have gotten over the years when guys have seen me working on cars!  I always enjoyed that aspect of it, though I got really tired of HAVING to fix my cars.  Now, I am on hiatus, since our truck is a 2005.  Once this is paid off, we will get an older diesel truck to really play with.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »

My girlfriend got scholarships to become and auto mechanic (she's not quite as good as she thinks she is, LOL) then she found she was pregnant with her first daughter (the one that wants to become a mechanic). It's kind of hard to get close when you're nine months pregnant so she dropped the course. Then she got scholarships to do autobody, the same day she found out she was pregnant with her second daughter and she let that go too for the belly in the way reasoning.

The oldest is 14 and claims to have no interest in boys (or girls for that matter), so once we get back and I'm working on the truck over the summer I'll show any of the three gilrs that want to what I'm doing and explain why. I'll be happy if they can change their oil, put on a spare and do the little things so they're not completely helpless.

I like working on my vehicles, I find it relaxing. Plus there is always the sense of accomplishment at the end.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:42:24 PM »

since the thread turned to mechanics.... i can say i really dislike mechanics and have over the years done enough of it that i probably should have become one..... I do it cause i have to keep rigs and machines running, but it doesnt mean i am happy about it.... some things are so simple that they are complicated beyond belief.... then there is the engineers who over design something that it is frustrating.....

oh well growing up on a farm, being a logger turn sawmiller, and even a computer tech means i have more tools than most folks know what to do with, and boxes of tools and more boxes of other tools..... so i tried carpentry..... more tools and even some of the mechanic tools found their way into the carpentry boxes...... cant get away from mechanic work..... my grandad was one of the best around, as a kid during the big one [WWII] he would go to the wrecking yard [see i come by it genetically] get a dodge part for a chev or ford or verse visa and make his own adapter kit and put folks rigs back on the road for awhile longer..... most "mechanics" today are just "take it off and put a new part on" parts replacers and could not fabricate anything to save their life.... yeah i can do it cause i have to or cause i want to do it myself and not pay the shop time if i can avoid it..... but i dont have to be happy about it eh? ;-)

William
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: No Longer Home Schooling/now auto mechanics
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:15:15 AM »

yeah i can do it cause i have to or cause i want to do it myself and not pay the shop time if i can avoid it..... but i dont have to be happy about it eh? ;-)

William

That's just about where I am at.  The first car I ever owned was a 1979 Mustang with a blown engine.  My friend and I tore it apart, had the block re-bored, and put it back together.  Thankfully, he knew what he was doing and was willing to actually teach me.  From then on, my knowledge grew.  My next vehicle was a VW Rabbit that had a contaminated fuel system.  I got tired of waiting for all the men I knew to help me fix it so I grabbed a book and did it myself.  I still don't know everything there is to know, but I know more than some.  The last big fix was replacing the head gaskets on a 1976 Dodge Powerwagon.  I got tired of smelling like an oil pan, and am thankful for the break, BUT I miss the simplicity of the Powerwagon.  I look at our 2005, and would not know where to start if something went wrong.  That's why the next vehicle will be an older one.  I will have enough time to miss working on a vehicle.  I would really like to learn to work on farm equipment (tractors and such) and learn to fabricate.  That will be some time down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up