Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Prep 101 Series - Suggested Equipment to Purchase  (Read 1381 times)

fruit loop

• View Profile
From Prep 101 Series - Suggested Equipment to Purchase
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:30:18 PM »

PREP 101: Part 4, Suggested Equipment To Purchase
Don't forget the wonders of layaway if money is a problem. Check out flea markets, garage sales, eBay, and newspaper ads. Secondhand works as good as new if the previous owners took proper care of their gear.

Camp stove
Grill, charcoal, fire starter
Solar shower

Alternative heat source: there are many options available. You are limited only by your needs, desires, and what you can afford to spend. If money isn't an issue, go for one of those stylish propane ventless fireplaces. Or a kerosene heater. Propane heater heads put out a lot of heat.

Generator - this is probably your most expensive item
Coleman battery powered lanterns
Coleman Extreme Ice Chest - keeps ice for 5 days in 90+ heat
Sleeping bags/extra blankets

Tent: don't dismiss this as silly. If Hurricane Hades hits and the power goes out, it may be too hot to sleep in your house! We camped in our yard after Floyd because it was cooler. If your home is damaged, this will enable you to remain on your property and guard it. In cold weather, pitch a tent in your living room and stay in it for extra heat!

20-gallon plastic tubs with rope handles - K-Mart, about $8. Get 2 for laundry
Fire extinguishers
Fire alarms/carbon monoxide alarms
Good quality radio and batteries

Portable battery powered tv - Wal-mart, about $45. Mine also has a radio. I love it because during natural disasters I can still see other people, which is very reassuring, and also get a visual on the actual damage to my area

Tarps/plastic sheeting

Plywood if you live in a hurricane zone. Measure your windows now, fit the plywood, and pre-drill nail/screw holes.

Extra gas/kerosene cans
32 gallon trash cans for water storage

Above-ground pool for extra water. Yes, these can run into money, but there are plenty of decent inexpensive ones.

Chainsaw or hand saw to cut up fallen debris
Extra heavy-duty extension cords (to run appliances to generator)

SELF DEFENSE
This is one of the most, if not THE most, important yet difficult decisions that you will have to make. If you've never been around firearms but always wanted to learn, now's your chance. Sign up for a class and learn basic care and feeding of your firearm, how to use it, and more importantly when to and when not to use it. Teach gun safety and responsibility to EVERYONE in the home, especially young people. Part of gun ownership is RESPONSIBILITY, not just marksmanship.

If you don't think you can shoot someone, then you've got no business having a gun in the house. Decide what other means you're willing to use. This can include something as primitive as a baseball bat or taking karate lessons.

Consider a Neighborhood Watch program. Meet with your neighbors. Know who they are, and make it clear that you'll watch out for them if they watch out for you. Most people are willing, even eager to do this.

SAFETY FIRST.

"I'm not crazy. I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Suggested Equipment to obtain and learn to use
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »

For your edged hand tools. Files, stones and repair parts like axe handles, with safety gear like safety glassses, gloves and the like.

IN another post someone mentioned having a sharpening kit with 3 colored hanlded stones with guides. I strongly suspect he has a Lanksy brand sharpening set. I have owned one for manyh yearss. A to the file? That works great for keeping your shovel in top form.

WHen you get these tools, practice with them but be safe. Injuries now can be handled in the E.R, but if stuff hist the ffan, there may not be an E.R. to get to. An ounce of preventions is better than a pound of cure is not a cliche, it is a fact.
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: From Prep 101 Series - Suggested Equipment to Purchase
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »

Lansky and Smiths both make the kits with the edge guide. Lansky has more angles. I have both kits and they work.

Don't forget the wedges to keep the heads on the handles.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: From Prep 101 Series - Suggested Equipment to Purchase
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »

All good ideas and as we all know we add to these constantly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up