Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ??New canning method??  (Read 3133 times)

Leslie

• View Profile
??New canning method??
« on: November 19, 2005, 11:13:53 PM »

I really don't know if I trust this or not, but my sister-in-law said that you can pressure can in the oven at a certain temp for 3 hours.

Personally, I wouldn't try it and I didn't talk to her about it, my husband did.

Maybe I should give her a call and ask more questions. I fear this could make someone sick.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Or tried it?

Leslie

Laughs at Hurricanes

• Blogger
  • False color image of Charley at landfall.
    • View Profile
Re: ??New canning method??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 10:03:09 AM »

I've never heard of it but speaking from a physics viewpoint it is technically possible IF you are using the oven only as a heat source to heat a pressure vessel. (think of your pressure canner in the oven) I would think it highly inefficient compared to stovetop where heat is direct on the canner.  The whole point in pressure canning is to raise the temperature of the food above the boiling point by a certain number of degrees for a given length of time in order to kill bacteria etc. Since an oven is not pressurized you cannot accomplish this just by putting jars in oven since the highest temp you can achieve IN THE FOOD is 212 or less at altitude.

So for my money I don't think I'd try it for pressure canning since its not pressure canning but at best it is hot water bath canning.
Charley tried and failed. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma failed too. I'm still here and still laughing.

Northernlady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 02:49:16 PM »

I believe that this is an "older" method of canning. Pre- pressure canners. I would look at some older cook books, maybe 1950s 1960s era and look up that info. Personally, I would be worried about the safety of this method, but I am  prone to worry !.
Northernlady

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:42:49 PM »

I really don't know if I trust this or not, but my sister-in-law said that you can pressure can in the oven at a certain temp for 3 hours.

Leslie

You could do what I did with my garlic.  I don't have a pressure canner (I can't hint to my husband enough without writing it on his forehead), so I peeled garlic, put it in a hot jar, filled the jar with hot water, then water-bathed it.  Then, I set it in a dark, cool place.  It never developed botullism, it did not explode, and did not get cloudy until 10 months.  Next time I will do it in a pressure canner and test that (may be a while).

fruit loop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »

Oven canning is not recommended by the Dept of Agriculture OR the jar manufacturers.

Stick to waterbath and pressure canning. It's actually faster and far more dependable.
"I'm not crazy. I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »

I am not sure if they still let non members do this or not, but the Mormons used to share the use of thier canning equipment, you may want to check into this in your area.....

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/index.php   for some basics

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3040.htm     about home canning

http://missvickie.com/canning/cookercanner.html

talks about not using a pressure cooker for canning  here is a comment "though some manufacturers certify their brand of pressure cooker is acceptable for use as a pressure canner, most canning experts will tell you not to use a regular pressure cooker for canning purposes. You can, however, still use a pressure cooker with a regular lid, for small batches of water bath canning. Pressure cookers are NOT recommended for canning because a fully loaded canner takes a longer time for heating and cooling. This time is taken into account when determining processing times in standard canning timetables. The smaller pressure cookers have smaller loads, and this causes them to heat and cool quicker than a pressure canner. This causes problems with accurate timing."
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Pages: [1]   Go Up